Monday, March 28, 2011

Jeff Bush - Pro Ski Racer

I got an email from Jeff Bush '10 last week, who's been out in Colorado working for an outdoor education program. I'm happy to report that not only has he stayed in touch with xc ski racing, he's winning cash money. Here's the story:

I've been very tempted by the dark side (telemark skiing) here in Colorado and not nordic skiing as much as I should have. However, I got motivated enough to do two races and train a tiny bit for them. This entails one threshold workout and three or four skis total, but it was better than nothing. The first race was the Leadville Loppet, where I entered the 22k. It was a great day for racing and I got off to a solid start, in the lead pack. I skied smart for the beginning and drafted a bunch of different master blasters. Then I would race ahead on the downhills and catch someone else. My tragic error came in the last 3k where I took a wrong turn and lost sight of the skier I was about to pass. I pulled myself together and managed to finish 5th (6th if you count the classic winner), which I was happy about - 1st place in my age group, too, although I was the only one. Other than the turn though it was a very strong performance for me - I skied smart, and even though I was racing at 10,000 ft I used my knowledge of the sport rather than fitness to gain an advantage.

The second race was even more fun - a 600m sprint down Harrison Ave, the main street in Leadville. It was a small event, organized by the HS coach. There were head to head sprints on the snow they trucked in and I got to race in my favorite discipline, the super short sprint. I generally am very modest and try very hard not to sound pompous or arrogant, but there really wasn't any competition for me; there is no other accurate way to describe it. I won every race without contention. It was a fun experience for me, though, because I have actually never won a ski race before, and I also won $50! Not bad for a retired college skier.


It's always fun to hear about alumni racing success. One of these years we'll have to organize an alumni race...

No comments: