Thursday, March 6, 2014

NCAA Classic

NCAA 5/10k classic race today - I don't think I've ever been so nervous before a race in my life, and I wasn't even racing.  It was a pretty intense day - the usual frantic energy of a classic day, but ramped up because of the steadily changing conditions and the higher stakes of the event.  Fortunately, James and Kaitlynn were pretty composed, or at least did a good job faking it - they stayed focused and gave a great effort.  Both of them skied extremely well - they were moving with lots of energy, and they kept pushing hard the whole way.  Kaitlynn ended up 19th, with James 35th - solid performances against the best college skiers in the country.  Neither of them had great skis today, which makes their performances even more impressive.  I'm so proud of these guys - I just wish we could have nailed it for them.  I was lucky to have a great wax crew to help get us in the ballpark on a tricky and rapidly changing day.  Wilson Dippo '12 has been doing great work for us the last couple days, and Spencer Eusden '12 showed up today to lend a hand as well.  They tested a ton of klister combinations for me as the morning went on, which was super helpful - I would have been lost without their efforts.  Overall, it was a solid showing, and the great energy and effort bodes well for Saturday's skate race - can't wait!

No comments: