Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Eastern Cup Opener

A late report on the Eastern Cup Opener in Presque Isle last weekend. Niko, Dan, Spencer, and Scott drove up with Tim on Friday. Decent results overall - Spencer qualified for the heats in Saturday's skate sprint, finishing 25th in the final standings. Niko pulled off a remarkable feat, skiing 2 laps in the qualifying round - never heard of anyone skiing an extra lap in a sprint race, so this is quite noteworthy. His NENSA points for the race were 1582.49 - this has to be a record. I'll have to ask Pat Cote to research this for me. Anyway, I'd like to think that I won't be teasing Niko about this for the rest of his Bowdoin career, but I don't think I can resist. Somewhere, Chris Sanville is smiling. Sunday's classic was decent as well, especially considering that most of the guys were doing their first real classic skiing on snow this year. All in all, a nice start to the season. Big thanks to Hannah Shepard for hosting the guys!

Niko - photo courtesy of Steve Fuller at Flying Point Road.

I also have some photos from Andy Shepard that are giving me some trouble - I'll post those when I'm back on campus with a faster connection.

1 comment:

Nat Herz said...

2 laps? What?! There has to be a good story behind this, or I guess just a whole lot of stupidty...