Friday, June 4, 2010

Don't Go Rollerskiing?

Here's post from Wilson, enjoying the privileges of mountain living:

DON'T GO ROLLERSKIING!

Well, maybe that was a bit uncalled for. Today marked my first official training day of the 2010-11 ski season. As some, many, or most of you know right after the ski season ended I got mono and was sidelined for the next month. Since then I have been concerned about going too hard and risking getting chronic fatigue syndrome which has, in some studies, been linked to mono. Well, a couple of days ago I went for a 5 or 6 mile run and it just crushed my knees and ankles. It seems the workouts that I did this spring kept my main muscles in shape while entirely neglecting the supporting muscles. I was pretty frustrated to say the least. With few other options (except rollerskiing which seems to have gone out of style - see Nathan's previous post) I was forced into the mountains. I drove up to Alta early this morning with my mom. We got out of the car and the "summer road," the normal xc route, looked horrible - dirty and filled with chunks of ice. After just a short way up we ditched the road and headed out onto the alpine hill. After a bit of really steep skiing we were in the "Albion Basin." There was nowhere that was unskiable, and the only obstacles were tree wells and the occasional pot-gut. Beyond the occasional animal track, the only places that the snow had been disturbed were the tracks that I had left earlier. Strangely for CRUST skiing, the crusty places were actually the worst skiing; last night Alta got a dusting of new snow so most of what we were skiing was silky smooth. I figure this was probably a bit of the opposite of the hamster wheel. Toward the end of my ski I took a pretty good fall on a fast gradual downhill, and I got some nice roadrash - mostly I was thankful that I wasn't on pavement. After 2 hours the altitude (oh, and the general lack of fitness) got to me. We were a bit nervous about skiing back down, but the east facing slopes were just starting to soften up and the ski down was incredibly smooth. Basically, everyone should drop what they are doing fly, drive, or walk out here and we'll do a bit of a camp - on snow - in June. Pictures coming soon. About half way down I bumped into some people who were skinning up the mountain for some corn-skiing. They asked "you having any fun skiing on those things?"

GUESS!

No comments: